DIY Vinyl Plank Flooring – Part 2 – Demo Day(s)

I think the best part of any DIY project is the before and after pictures.  Laminate and carpet to vinyl plank.  Demo day here we go!

I will say that this job took me a lot longer than I thought.  I always have this idea in my head that I have a day off work and will be able to get it done over the weekend.  Then in the middle of it, I remember that I still have my kids at home, they still want to eat (what’s up with that?), play, argue, fight, etc…  They also have to be taxied places and that takes way longer than you want to factor in.  😉  I guess though, that when you’re DIYing something, you should always expect it to take longer than you thought.


Things you’ll need:

  • Hammer
  • Needle nose pliers
  • Crow bar
  • Box cutter
  • A huge heavy-duty scraper/crow bar tool that can get under the linoleum (a friend lent us this tool and I’m not sure what we would’ve done without it)
  • Broom/dustpan/vacuum cleaner


The very first thing you need to do is pull up your baseboards.  My baseboards were in really good shape with the exception of a couple that had been destroyed by hoverboards by the previous owners.  I need to replace those.  Since I was planning on reusing our baseboards, I was gentle in removing them.  A little tip I can give you if you are planning on doing this, number your boards and the wall from which they came.  It will make the process of putting them back on SO much easier!


Our floor consisted of a mixture of laminate, carpet, and the worst, linoleum, under the laminate that was not level with the rest of the floor.

Laminate Flooring

I started in our hallway by our garage.  In that area there was laminate flooring.


It was interlocking edges and came up super easy.  That was probably the easiest area.  It just popped right up after I got the threshold piece up.


Then came the carpet.  We cut the carpet out in sections so the girls weren’t running all over the place with just plywood subfloors.

Ripping the carpet up was no big deal.  The edges where the carpet was tacked down was a little more work.  The crow bar came in handy getting up the wood pieces holding it the staples in place.  The needle nose pliers came in handy grabbing the staples from the pad that didn’t pull up right away.


Again, another task that was not hard by any means, but oh so time-consuming.  This is one of those parts of the job that I wanted to go to sleep and wake up the next morning to it being done.  I’m not much of demo girl.  🙂


We also had a gas fireplace in the corner that I wanted gone.  I LOVED the fireplace and we used it all the time, but I hated it in the corner.  It was a weird place for a focal area in that room and we both thought it would be cool to eventually for some kind of stone fireplace and maybe even built-ins on the wall to the left of it (where all the pictures are).

Thank God for good friends.  I called my good friend Miranda and she and her husband Blaine came over to assist with the fireplace.  There’s three things I don’t dabble in as far a DIY projects go, plumbing, gas, and electric (with the exception of installing ceiling fans and lighting fixtures). Blaine was able to safely disconnect the gas line from the fireplace, shut the valve off to make sure we weren’t going to die from a gas leak.  🙂  Blaine also helped disconnect a switch that went to the vent in the fireplace unit.  If you would like to have this fireplace, let me know!  We’ll sell it for a good price. 😉

After they headed out, we got back to more demo.  Carpet ripping, and linoleum.


Perhaps the worst part of the whole deal was scraping up the awful boards that the linoleum was glued to. It was terrible. There were what seemed like 1,000 nails, all in random places. Neil did a majority of the work on this, but I worked on it until it hurt my back. It really felt like a victory when that part was over.

It took us about 2 days of demo work and then we got started on the easy stuff, laying the planks!

Stay tuned for part three of the process, laying the flooring!!  Click here to see Part 1 of this post and how we made the decision to redo our flooring.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s